The Big Red Challenge is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports veterans in the transition to civilian life through Challenge, Service, and Community.
How do we accomplish our mission?
•The Big Red Challenge Obstacle Course Race creates an opportunity for veterans and civilians to come together and challenge themselves.
•In order to provide service to veterans, proceeds from the BRC Obstacle Course Race will go to partner organizations that provide direct services that align with BRC’s key pillars.
•The race has created a community of runners, veterans, volunteers, veteran organizations and business partners. Challenge and service create the strongest bonds and our community is proof.
Veterans know purpose – DON’T LET THEM LOSE IT. Veterans are offered support services to readjust to civilian life in the form of: Education, Money, Housing, Medical Care, etc. But personal connections are what have the greatest impact…Challenge, Service, and Community.
- We all need a challenge to face, in challenge we find our life purpose.
- The challenge of military service provided Veterans with the key components necessary to live a fulfilled life.
- When they return home, they are still looking for challenge, but without it problems arise as they transition to civilian life.
- When Veterans become one with that purpose and challenge – it defines them.
- Being Challenged, Serving others, belonging to a Community.
To fund our mission, help bring awareness to veterans and honor their service, we have created an annual military-style obstacle course race called The Big Red Challenge.
The race is a symbol for challenge. We challenge people to run, serve, and step outside their comfort zones in every aspect of life. Challenge requires service. Being a part of something bigger than ourselves gives life purpose. Challenge and service build the strongest communities. We all need a team to be a part of.
Veterans and active duty can register for a discounted price and veteran organizations are able to host a booth at our expo for a discount as well (limited space available). The race creates the funds necessary to make our dream a reality.
Ultimately, we hope our event creates a day to celebrate and honor those who protect us at home and abroad.
A portion of the net proceeds from BRC 2019 will go towards a local veteran organization.
BRC 2018 by the Numbers:
- Big Red Challenge 2018 had 1,050 runners with 404 of them being Veterans or Active Duty.
- 242 Registration fees paid for Veterans and Active Duty to run free.
- $1,600 given back to the Marine Corps League – Cornhusker Detachment.
- 11 Veteran groups set up shop at our expo free of charge.
- $850 raised during Operation Enduring Warrior’s push up contest.
Thank you to everyone who came out for Big Red Challenge 2018!
BRC 2017 by the Numbers:
- Big Red Challenge 2017 had over 1,100 runners with 500 of them being Veterans or Active Duty.
- 500 Registration fees paid for Veterans and Active Duty to run free.
- $1,000 given back to the Marine Corps League – Cornhusker Detachment.
- 8 Veteran groups set up shop at our expo free of charge.
- $1,500 raised during Operation Enduring Warrior’s push up contest.
Thank you to everyone who came out for Big Red Challenge 2017!
Other Partner Veteran Organizations:
Team RWB (Red, White & Blue)
Team RWB’s mission is to enrich the lives of American’s veteran by connecting them to their community through physical and social activity. The great part of this organization is AD, NG’s, Reserves, Veterans and community members can all belong to the team FREE. Go to teamrwb.org to join.
Operation Enduring Warrior (OEW) is a veteran-founded non‐profit 501(c)(3) whose mission is to honor, empower, and motivate our nation’s wounded veterans through a physical, mental and emotional rehabilitation. Our program helps participants overcome adversity and hardship through innovation, teamwork, and perseverance. This ultimately enables the lives of wounded veterans to go in directions they may have once thought were impossible. OEW is a completely volunteer run organization. Donations go directly towards operational support of the organization and its different programs. Their current program offerings are: Skydive, Scuba, Racing and various Outreach Events. Learn more about OEW here: http://enduringwarrior.org
Legislative Bill 740
Big Red Challenge teamed up with Senator Colby Coash to help get in-state tuition for all veterans and their family members from anywhere in the nation at any Nebraska state university or public college. The bill was introduced on January 9, 2014 and passed by the Legislature and signed into law on March 28, 2014. We are just one step closer to making Nebraska the most veteran friendly place in America. Click here to read about LB740.